Typically, a parent can be duplicated when they have multiple students/children, and their information was entered slightly differently for each (David vs Dave, different email address, mispelled email address, etc).
To clean this up, perform the following:
- Decide which of the two records you wish to keep. Typically, keep the one with the correct email address, as their user record, if they have one, will be associated with this parent record.
- Edit missing or incorrect information on the parent record you wish to keep (correcting misspelled names, missing address or phone information, etc), if necessary.
- Note the first name, last name, and email address on the parent record you wish to keep.
- Search for and find the duplicate record.
- Note the students associated with this record.
- Click the Delete button
- Search for and view the student that was associated with the just deleted parent.
- Click the ‘Add new parent/guardian’ link beside the Parents heading
- Fill in just the first name, last name, email address, and whether the student lives with the parent, using the names and email address from the parent record that was retained.
- Click the Add Parent button
- If Classroomparent can find the parent based on name and email address, the student page will be redisplayed and the parent will be listed.
- If the parent could not be found, the Add Parent page will be redisplayed with an error stating that the information is incomplete. If this occurs, search for the parent record again and note the proper spelling of the first name, last name and email address, the return to the student page to re-add the parent.
- If the deleted parent had been associated with multiple students, repeat the above for each.
One matter of note. If the parent record that was deleted was associated with a group, a classroom (as a classparent), a message, etc, this association will be lost and the parent will need to be re-associated using the parent record that was retained.
Also, if the parent record that was deleted was associated with a user record, the parent will no longer be able to log in. They will have to re-register.
This is a Site Admin function. Regular users will not be able to perform these steps.